Lima 3673

Lima is a rural district comprising the physical features of Lima Creek, Lima Valley and the smaller localities of Lima East and Lima South.

The area is generally 25 km south of Benalla, set in undulating country with numerous creeks. There is State forest to the west and south, part of which is the Warrenbayne State forest.

Lima Station was taken up by William McKellar in 1839 who took out a license in 1840. William Black became a business partner in 1841. The McKellar family had extensive maritime interests and the the name Lima is believed to have come from a sailing ship of the same name.

By 1880 small-farm settlers had come to Lima and schools were opened at Lima (1883), Lima South (1885) and Lime East (1888). A Lima station was on the branch railway line from Benalla to Tatong (1914-47). The locality itself, however, was on neither a main road nor a railway line, and the nearest main-road town is Swanpool on the Midland Highway between Benalla and Mansfield.

Lima was developed as a dairying district, and local farmers assisted in the agitation for the Lake Nillahcootie storage near the headwaters of the Broken River. Dairying and mixed farming are now carried on. All three Lima schools were closed in 1970-1.

Lima's census populations were 327 (1911) and 220 (1961), probably for the three localities.

184 Samaritans is a book written on the history of the Samaria area and the Samaria Rural Fire Brigade.



❊ Web Links ❊


Lima 3673 

Swanpool & District History




Country Towns | Victoria



Trending HOT..






Page Editor

UPDATE